Vietnam and Bangladesh have issued a joint statement, agreeing to work out ways and means to further expand and strengthen meaningful bilateral cooperation in all areas of mutual benefit.
The document was released during the State visit to Bangladesh by Vietnam’s President Tran Dai Quang and his wife. The following is the full text of the document: “JOINT STATEMENT BETWEEN THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM AND THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF BANGLADESH On the occasion of the State visit to Bangladesh by H.E. Mr. Tran Dai Quang, President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam (Dhaka, 05 March 2018)
1. At the invitation of H.E. Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid, President of the People's Republic of Bangladesh, H. E. Mr. Tran Dai Quang, President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and Madam Nguyen Thi Hien paid a State visit to the People's Republic of Bangladesh from March 4 to 6, 2018. The visit marks the 45th anniversary of Bangladesh-Vietnam diplomatic relations.
2. President Tran Dai Quang was received by H.E. Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid, President of Bangladesh, and was accorded a ceremonial reception with guard of honour at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport, Dhaka. President Md. Abdul Hamid hosted a Banquet in honour of President Tran Dai Quang on March 5, 2018.
3. On March 5, 2018, President Tran Dai Quang paid homage at the National Monument in Savar, Dhaka in memory of the martyrs of the Bangladesh War of Liberation in 1971. Following this, the President paid tribute to the memory of the Father of the Nation of Bangladesh, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, at the Bangabandhu Memorial Museum, Dhaka. Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Mr. A H Mahmood Ali MP called on the President of Vietnam at his place of residence.
4. During the visit, President Tran Dai Quang held meeting with President Md. Abdul Hamid. President Tran Dai Quang and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina led their respective sides to a bilateral meeting. President Tran Dai Quang met the Honorable Speaker of the Parliament and the Chairman of the Bangladesh Workers’ Party. He also addressed the Vietnam - Bangladesh Business Forum; met leaders of the Federation of Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce and Industries, the Bangladesh-Vietnam Council for Commerce and Industries and a number of Bangladeshi leading businessmen and attended the opening ceremony of the “Vietnam Cultural Days in Bangladesh” to mark the 45th anniversary of Vietnam - Bangladesh diplomatic relations.
5. During the meetings, the two sides informed each other of the political, economic and social developments in their respective countries. President Tran Dai Quang appreciated Bangladesh for maintaining stability and steering economic and social development, improving the people's living standards and thus contributing to peace, stability and development in the region. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina expressed appreciation for Vietnam’s remarkable socio-economic development and constructive role it has been playing in the region. She also appreciated Vietnam for successfully hosting the APEC Year 2017.
6. During the bilateral meeting, President Tran Dai Quang and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina highlighted the traditional friendship and cooperation between Vietnam and Bangladesh over the forty five years of diplomatic relations. They agreed to work out ways and means to further expand and strengthen meaningful bilateral cooperation in all areas of mutual benefit.
7. The two sides agreed to strengthen the close ties and political understanding between the two countries through exchange of high-level visits and interactions as well as the exchange of delegations at various levels and through increased people-to-people contacts. In this spirit, President Tran Dai Quang welcomed a visit by Bangladeshi leadership to Vietnam in the near future.
8. The two sides agreed to hold the 2nd Political Consultation between the two Ministries of Foreign Affairs in Hanoi in 2018 in order to review areas for future cooperation.
9. The two sides agreed to strengthen cooperation in security and defense areas through the exchange of goodwill visits and delegations and participation in training in each other’s country. They also agreed to continue cooperation in countering transnational crimes and terrorism. Bangladesh expressed willingness to share its experience in the United Nations Peacekeeping Operations.
10. The two sides expressed satisfaction at the growing volume of bilateral trade which in 2017 amounted to nearly US$ 900 million, an increase of around 50 % against that of 2016. The two sides also agreed to hold the 2nd meeting of the Joint Committee on Trade in 2018 to seek avenues to enhance bilateral trade.
11. To promote bilateral investment, the two sides stressed on the need to effectively implement the Agreement on the Promotion and Protection of Investment and agreed to create the best conditions for entrepreneurs and business communities of the two countries to explore business and investment opportunities in both countries.
12. Both sides agreed to strengthen cooperation and sharing of experience and know-how in developing sustainable agriculture and aquaculture. The two sides welcomed the signing of the MOU on Cooperation in the field of Fisheries and Livestock and MOU of machinery manufacturing cooperation.
13. Both sides agreed to promote cooperation in education and training. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina appreciated Vietnam’s FPT University for offering 100 scholarships to Bangladeshi students for the year 2017-2018. Both sides welcomed signing of the Cultural Exchange Program between the Ministry of Cultural Affairs of Bangladesh and the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Vietnam.
14. Both sides stressed on the need for implementation of the Air Service Agreement to establish direct air connectivity between the two countries to foster trade, tourism, and people-to-people contact.
15. The two sides appreciated their cooperation and close coordination at regional and international forums, especially within the framework of the United Nations, the Non-Aligned Movement, South-South Cooperation, and the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF). Both sides expressed their appreciation for mutual support at international forums. Vietnam sought Bangladesh’s support in favour of its candidature for a non-permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council for the period of 2020-2021. Bangladesh agreed to give due consideration to the request, taking into account the tradition of mutual support between the two countries in multilateral fora.
16. The two sides expressed keen interest to work together and coordinate joint efforts in issues of mutual interest such as sustainable development, disaster and climate change response, water security, and food security.
17. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reiterated her government’s keen interests to intensify political, trade, and economic relations with the ASEAN countries, sought Vietnam’s support in favour of Bangladesh’s desire to become Sectoral Dialogue Partner of ASEAN. She also requested Vietnam to support Bangladesh to join the Mekong-Ganga Cooperation (MGC). President Tran Dai Quang agreed to give due consideration to the requests on the basis of consulting with ASEAN and MGC member countries.
18. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina sought Vietnam’s support for a peaceful solution for affected people from the Rakhine State who took shelter in Bangladesh. President Tran Dai Quang expressed his support for a viable and long-term solution to the problem for the sake of peace, stability and development in the region. In this connection, he welcomed recent agreements between Bangladesh and Myanmar on this issue.
19. The two sides stressed the importance of maintaining peace, stability, and the rule based order for the seas and oceans, including security, safety, and freedoms of navigation and over-flight, in accordance with international law. They emphasized on peaceful settlement of all international disputes, including territorial and maritime disputes, in accordance with international law, including the 1982 Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). Both sides agreed to continue their support for the observations of the Declaration on the conduct of parties in the South China Sea (DOC) and look forward to the conclusion of a substantive Code of Conduct (COC).
20. The two sides expressed satisfaction at the honest and candid discussion in the spirit of mutual understanding, as well as at the important outcomes realized during the visit. President Tran Dai Quang and Madame appreciated the warm hospitality and courtesies extended to them and to the accompanying delegation by the Government and the people of Bangladesh during the visit. President Dai Quang cordially invited both the President, and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh to visit Vietnam at a mutually convenient time; date of which to be decided through the diplomatic channel.”